English Language and Academic Literacy Support Programmes
Addressing the students’ needs in academic literacy and supporting them in this area is important to Curtin. Hence, the University has implemented a Post-Entry Language Assessment (PELA) within selected Year 1 Semester 1 modules:
• Engineering Foundation Principle and Communication (EFPC) for Engineering and Science students
• Introduction to Global Business (IBUS) for Business students
• Academic and Professional Communication (APC) for Media students
First year degree students are required to take PELA, which is part of a short written assignment in the respective unit (as above) regardless of their language background. Your unit lecturer will guide you and you need to submit the PELA which will be marked out of 10 marks. The results of the assessment are used to guide students to appropriate forms of academic language support where applicable.
For Engineering and Science students
• who get a PELA score of five (5) or less must attend and successfully complete the Science and Engineering Literacy and Language (SELL) Programme in Semester 2 before they are able to pass the EFPC unit besides fulfilling the other requirements of the unit.
• completing the SELL programme is also strongly recommended for students with PELA score between 5 and 6.5.
SELL Programme comprises four (4) two-hour modules as follows. Students need to complete all the four modules
SELL 1: Referencing, citing and plagiarizing
SELL 2: Academic writing and paragraph structure
SELL 3: Cohesion and coherence
SELL 4: Editing, proofreading and common errors
For Business students
• who get a PELA score of less than 5 must attend and successfully complete the Language Support Modules (LSM) in Semester 1 before they are able to pass the IBUS unit besides fulfilling the other requirements of the unit.
The LSM Programme offers nine (9) two-hour modules as follows. Students need to complete any four (4) modules.
LSM 1: Academic vocabulary
LSM 2: Critical reading and thinking
LSM 3: Note taking
LSM 4: Presentation skills
LSM 5: Editing, proofreading and common errors
LSM 6: Redundancies and auxiliaries
LSM 7: Referencing, citing and plagiarizing
LSM 8: Cohesion and coherence
LSM 9: Sentence mechanics
For Media students
• who get a PELA score of six (6) or less must attend and successfully complete the SUCCESS Programme in Semester 1 before they are able to pass the APC unit besides fulfilling the other requirements of the unit.
• completing the SUCCESS programme is also strongly recommended for students with PELA score of 6.5.
The SUCCESS Programme offers nine (9) one-hour modules as follows. Students need to complete any seven (7) modules.
SUCCESS 1: Assignment types
SUCCESS 2: Analysing the question
SUCCESS 3: Academic style
SUCCESS 4: Writing well-structured questions
SUCCESS 5: Constructing paragraphs using bullet points
SUCCESS 6: Linking ideas
SUCCESS 7: Introductions and conclusions
SUCCESS 8: Referencing and paraphrasing
SUCCESS 9: Editing and proofreading
Benefits for learners:
- able to produce grammatically correct, accurate, and concise reports, papers, and presentations will serve you long after you finish your Curtin education.
- ready to meet the expectations of your future employer
- improve your writing and literacy skills within your study discipline
- able to write reports and critiques, structure arguments, and communicate clearly in an academic style.
Details of the schedule’s dates and times will be posted under the relevant units in the Blackboard menu or OLT website.
For enquiries about SELL, LSM and SUCCESS Programmes, please contact:
• Mr Reginald at tel: +60 85 44 3939 ext. 2625 or email email@example.com or
• Ms Annie Leong at tel: +60 85 44 3939 ext. 2546 or direct line +60 85 63 0046 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: OLT offers the above LSM periodically or/and upon request by the faculties.